Fancy a job where you get to hang out in a national park whilst combining technical rope skills, water skills and personal skills? If so, becoming a canyoning guide for Abel Tasman Canyons might be your perfect job.
This two day training workshop will introduce you to the world of a being a canyoning guide for Abel Tasman Canyons. All aspects of the job will be covered including rope skills, white water skills, guiding skills and more. The goal of this workshop is to inform and inspire participants to be our potential future guides.
Those that like what they experience can discuss further training opportunities with the NZ Canyoning School and possible future job opportunities. Here at Abel Tasman Canyons we use the NZOIA Qualification framework and train to the standard of the NZOIA canyon awards.
- 18 years or older
- Reasonable fitness
- Run 3km in less than 20 minutes
- 30 push ups
- swim 100m
- 30 sit ups
- Have experience in and around river environments
- Work well in a team and be able to lead/support others
- Speak a good level of English
- Passionate about adventure, nature and learning
- Outgoing personality and enjoy working in customer service
- Must be eligible to work in NZ next summer (1 Oct 2020 – 30 Apr 2021)
Day 1: 9:00 – 17:00* – Base and river day
This day will include:
- Rope training session
- Water training session
Day 2: 7:30 until 18:00* – Canyon day
This day will involve:
- A day out in a canyon environment and will include:
- Preparing for a trip
- Running a canyoning trip
- Applying rope and water skills from the previous day
- Group management in a canyon
- Hazard identification and management
- Finishing a trip
- Debrief & Q&A
* times and schedule may change and more detail will be provided closer to the time.
How to apply:
If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of please then send us an application message explaining why you think you would be the perfect fit to be the best Abel Tasman canyoning guide. Messages can be written in 100 words or less or in a short video less than a minute in length.
Sell yourself! We have limited spaces for this workshop so we will only select applicants who are serious about being a canyoning guide.
Deadline: You need to submit your application before 5pm Wednesday the 6th of April.
Training provided by: